18.01 Rules: USA Softball (Formerly known as ASA)
18.02 Maximum Number of games: 20
18.03 Practice Requirements: Number of practices to represent school: 6 (individual)
18.04 Nights rest between contests: 1 night
18.05 Individual contests limitation per day: 2 contests
18.06 Scrimmage limitations per day: 2 scrimmages
18.07 Waivers of USA Softball Rules:
- Waiver to USA Softball rule 3-1D to keep the bat grip at 10” to 15”.
- Wave the International tie breaker rule for NYSPHSAA regionals, semi-finals and final championship games. (Oct. 2019)
- An unannounced substitution during a contest will not be penalized.
- Tie breaker rule in effect at top of the tenth (10th) inning for the regular season play and Sectional Tournaments.
18.08 NYSPHSAA Softball Rules:
- A contestant may participate in two (2) regulation games per day with at least a 15- minute rest between games.
- By Section adoption five (5) inning double headers may be played.
- Varsity softball teams can play three (3) contests in one day only for invitational tournaments during the regular season.
- All adult base coaches are required to wear a hard-shell protective helmet while on the first and third baselines during the game effective with the 2016 season.
- Softball Regionals and on – the host team will be the home team. (May 2016)
- Softball regional play will be scheduled Thursday through Monday only, prior to the State Tournament. (Oct. 2018)
- Mercy Rule for NYSPHSAA regional, semifinal and final (championship) games, the game shall end when there is a run differential of 12 runs and when the game is considered an official game. (Oct. 2017)
18.09 Softball Scrimmage Rules:
- A softball scrimmage must include free substitutions and lineup cards will not be exchanged.
Scrimmages must also include one or more of the following:
- Play six (6) outs per half inning (example– 3 outs clear the field/3 more outs).
- Batting order must be altered or modified to include more batters than rules permit.
- Start with a runner(s) on base with a predetermined situation for at least two (2) full innings